Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Welcome with Spaghetti Squash!

I'm just starting this journey on the "Rhoads" to recipe blogging! If you're new to eating vegetarian, vegan, or just want to eat healthier by incorporating more veggies into your meals this is the blog for you!

This week is my first week of officially eating vegan only. I have made many vegan meals in the past since becoming a vegetarian two years ago. I absolutely LOVE cooking and cooking healthy! Honestly, I think food tastes better when you can enjoy it and know it's healthy for you!

This week I'm making a plethora of recipes and doing my best to think ahead so I don't waste anything. I  like making things when I can prep for a recipe and use the same ingredients for upcoming recipes throughout the week! It's cheaper, easier, and nothing gets wasted! This week I made stir fry veggies and wild rice, I'm in the process of making black bean soup, loaded sweet potatoes, vegan enchiladas, and from scratch veggie burgers with homemade baked sweet potato fries.  (Salivating yet? I'll be sharing these recipes later!) Now to today's recipe!

Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Veggie Sauce



Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Veggie Sauce

(I use whatever veggies I have at the house when making this recipe. You can use all of these veggies, or use whatever you have at home! Don't be afraid to change the recipe to your liking or to what you have lying around. If you don't have spaghetti squash, you can always use whatever pasta you have at home too.)

Ingredients:
1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 zuchini, cut into small pieces.
1 yellow squash, cut into small pieces.
1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into small pieces.
1/2 head of broccoli, cut into small pieces.
1 medium tomato, diced
4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 red onion, diced (sweet or yellow onion is fine too)
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I use Bertolli's olive oil and garlic)
1/2 teaspoon of basil
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
1 Tbs of olive oil or coconut oil (I use coconut oil.)
1 Tbs spoon of vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
salt and pepper to taste


For the Spaghetti Squash:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
Cut the spaghetti squash in half and use a spoon to remove all the seeds.
Place the spaghetti squash cut side up on a baking sheet.
Put 1/2 Tbs of the margarine onto the middle of each spaghetti squash.
Put salt and pepper onto each spaghetti squash
Bake the spaghetti squash for about 45 min. to an hour or until the squash is tender with a fork.

(Check the squash frequently so it doesn't get burnt on top.
Some people put tin foil on top to prevent burning, but I don't like to do that because I feel that the squash gets too moist and isn't as "noodle" like. If you see that the squash is getting burnt you can always put tinfoil on it at that point.)

Let the squash cool until you are able to touch it.
Use a fork and move it back and forth inside the squash. This will make the "noodles."


For the Marinara Sauce:
Use a large non stick pan and put your oil of choice in the pan on medium high heat.
Once the pan is hot, add your onion, garlic, pepper, broccoli, and cauliflower. Cook for about 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, add the zuchini and yellow squash. Cook for about 7-10 minutes or until tender. (Try not to overcook your veggies. You don't want them too soft!)

After your veggies are cooked add the tomato and jar of spaghetti sauce. Add the basil, oregano, and salt and pepper.  Cook the sauce all the way through.

Put a desired amount of spaghetti squash "noodles"  on your plate and top with veggie marinara sauce. Enjoy!

Please let me know if you try this recipe, and what you think of it!

(My husband suggested making garlic bread for this as well, so if you feel you need a "bread" to go with this, feel free to add it to your dinner!)

Sincerely,

Callen Rhoads

(All the veggies in the recipes posted are from my husband's business, "Rhoads Produce", in Englewood, FL!)


2 comments: