Monday, February 18, 2013

Lentil and Quinoa Veggie Soup

 
 
 
Wow, I haven't posted since the beginning of the school year. I have been super busy with work and other things that I have been neglecting my blog. I am going to try to post more regulary now. Yesterday I watched a documentary on Netflix called, "Vegucated."  Watching the documentary completely reaffirmed why I believe that eating vegan is the right thing for ME. Sometimes I feel that people just don't "get" why I am eating vegan and it can get very frustrating. I am the only person in my entire circle of  friends, family, and  co-workers that does not eat ANY animal products. Most people are very understanding, but I've actually had some people be very rude about it (unknowingly or not). I wish I could  "vegucate" others on the health benefits of a vegan diet,  how easy eating vegan really is, how it helps our Earth, and how it helps animals. I don't expect people to change because of me. I'd like people to make their own assumptions and eat how they feel is right for them, but with this blog my hope is to at least show people that EATING vegan is NOT a challenge!!!
 
Anyways, that was my little blurp for the day. Here is the recipe I intended on sharing. :)
 
Today it was super chilly out (Hey, 65 is chilly for us folks here in Florida!)  and I wanted something to warm us up a bit. I decided a slow cooker soup was an easy way to make dinner on my cold day off. :)  I really get more done when we have three day weekends.
This soup is so delicious and easy to make!
 
Ingredients:
1 quart container of organic vegetable broth
1 cup of lentils (I used white lentils and red lentils)
3/4 cup of quinoa (I used white quinoa and red quinoa)
24 oz jar of Bertolli's tomato and basil marinara sauce
2-3 cups of water (This depends on how much liquid you want. I would start with two cups and if you need more liquid you can always add more water)
16 oz  of fresh sliced  mushrooms (I used button and baby bella. This was two 8 oz containers)
1 large carrot, diced
1 large onion, diced
One 5 oz package of fresh spinach
3 cloves of garlic, minced
 
Pour the ingredients above in a large slow cooker and let it cook on high for about 6-7 hours.
 
Voila! It is THAT easy!
 
You could make some garlic bread to go with it if you wanted, but Jake and I didn't think we needed anything else. :)
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment