Friday, November 29, 2013

What do vegans eat for Thanksgiving?



Since I am the only vegan in my entire family and group of friends, I always get questions about what I eat. For Thanksgiving, I was particularly getting this question a lot. I love taking ordinary dishes and veganizing them to show people that vegan food does taste amazing. This year I made green bean casserole, cinnamon glazed carrots, mashed potatoes, dressing, maple pumpkin pie, whipped cream, and caramel apple cider. It was all vegan, and tasted absolutely amazing! My family didn't miss the usual animal ingredient infused dishes, and actually preferred my vegan dishes instead. 

Below are the recipes I used for these dishes. I found some on Pinterest, but others I made up on my own.  Please let me know if you try any of them. Christmas is just around the corner and all of these dishes would be perfect for any of your holiday dinners. 

(NEW) This Aint Your Grandma's Sweet Potato Casserole. 

(Picture from Oh She Glows)
Vegan Sweet potato casserole Last week when I asked you to send in your favourite Thanksgivi:

Seriously, this is everyone's favorite dish out of all the ones I have listed. It is from Oh She Glows. Go ahead, make it. You won't be disappointed! Promise! 

Click to get the sweet potato casserole recipe HERE!

Click the link: Vegan Maple Pumpkin Pie from the Cake Duchess: 

I used a store bought vegan and gluten free pie shell from Earth Origins, but I made the filling in this recipe. I also added allspice and nutmeg to the pie mix as well. I just tasted as I was mixing the mix together. 

As I was cooking the mix in the oven, I was nervous because the mix was so runny. The mix will not set to a a very thick consistency in the oven after baking. I was nervous because of this, but it ended up thickening overnight in the fridge. Just an FYI so you don't become nervous as well. :)  This pie was super moist and delicious. 

Jake actually told me that he doesn't usually like pumpkin pie, but that this one was absolutely delicious. He went back for seconds. :) 

Vegan Whipped Cream: (My recipe) 


Ingredients:
*1 large can of full fat coconut milk (put in the fridge for a couple of days so that the fat rises to the top of the can and so that it can thicken)
*1/2- 1 TBS of pure vanilla extract (I tasted as I mixed the ingredients together for the right amount)
*1/8- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar (I used organic sugar in the raw, but you could use coconut sugar if you wanted to make this paleo too. I also tasted as I mixed the ingredients for the right amount.)

Open the can of coconut milk. Make sure not to shake the can or turn it upside down. The fat from the coconut milk should be on top of the can when you open it. Using a butter knife, scrape the sides of the can to loosen the fat. The fat should easily come out of the can, but if not you can use a spoon to get the fat out. Put the fat in the mixer. Do NOT put the liquid in the bottom of the can in the mixer. The cream will not have the right consistency if you use the liquid at the bottom of the can. 

Turn the mixer on medium speed. While the coconut milk fat is creaming, add the vanilla extract and sugar. Taste as you go so you can get the right flavor for your whipped cream. In the past I have also added cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice to the mixture for a pumpkin spice whipped cream. It is actually amazing with those spices. :) 

The whipped cream is done once it forms peaks, just like regular dairy whipped cream. Put into another container and let it set in the fridge until you are ready to use it. It will thicken more in the fridge.


Click the link: Vegan stuffing from the Savvy Vegetarian: 

Instead of making the dried bread cubes myself, I used prepackaged organic bread cubes from Earth Origins. I followed most of the rest of the recipe, but added more vegetable broth since I felt that the amount in the recipe didn't seem to be enough. I wanted to make sure the bread was moist enough, but not too soggy. 

Vegan Mashed Potatoes:  (My Recipe)

Since I didn't measure everything out for this, I am just going to tell you what the vegan replacements were for butter and milk.

I cut and boiled my potatoes until they were soft and ready to be mashed. Then, I added vegan "butter." I use the brand "Earth Balance." Then, instead of dairy milk, I used unsweetened original almond milk. I added, salt and pepper to taste and VOILA! The mashed potatoes were done! Easy as Pie! 

Vegan Gravy? I usually make my own with vegan butter, flour, and vegetable broth. This year I used Imagine brand organic wild mushroom gravy (found at Earth Origins). I like my version better, but this one did the trick. 

Vegan Green Bean Casserole: (My recipe)


Ingredients:
*1 lb of fresh green beans, trimmed and cut
*3 cloves of garlic, minced
*1 large handful of mushrooms, sliced
*1 1/2 cups-2 cups of Imagine brand creamy portobello soup (It is vegan, in a cardboard container like broth is sometimes in,  and found at Publix or most natural food stores)
*2-3 TBS of Briggs Liquid Aminos, or Soy Sauce
*1 small package of fried onions. (You can use French's, but I used the Wal-Mart brand.)
*3-4 TBS of corn starch
salt and pepper as needed

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Put your trimmed and cut green beans in an oven safe casserole bowl. I used a medium sized round dish.

Saute the mushrooms and garlic on medium heat for several minutes. Add the mushroom soup and liquid aminos (or soy sauce if using). Taste and add more as needed. Add the corn starch and mix until slightly thicker.

Once the soup mixture is warmed, add it to your dish with the green beans. The soup mixture should just slightly cover the green beans. 

Add about half of the fried onions to the top of the dish. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Cover your dish with tin foil and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the green beans are tender. Add the remaining fried onions to the top of the dish and cook uncovered for an additional 5 minutes. 

Vegan Cinnamon Glazed Carrots: (My Recipe)


Ingredients: 

*6 medium sized carrots, peeled and sliced in equal widths.
*2 TBS of Earth Balance "butter" melted
*2-3 TBS of light agave syrup (or more if you want it really sweet. I tasted as I went along)
*1-2 tsp of cinnamon
*1/2 tsp of nutmeg

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Mix the sliced carrots, melted "butter," agave syrup, and spices together. Make sure the carrots are coated evenly.
Bake in the oven, uncovered for at least one hour. 
Every 15 minutes, mix the carrots to coat them with the agave/butter mixture and to keep them moist. 

AND....Vegan Caramel Apple Spiced Cider  (My Recipe)

I wish I had a picture for you! 

1/2 cup all natural apple cider
1/4 cup club soda OR ginger-ale 
1 shot of Pinnacle Caramel Apple Vodka.

Mix Together and drink! Oh My Yumminess!!! This was amazing! Seriously, you  have to try it!!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment